[wp-hackers] Plugin uninstall/deactivate in 2.7 vs 2.6

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Sun Nov 2 06:53:23 GMT 2008

Will,

That is certainly a possibility. The right or wrong way isn't defined by
WordPress core, nor by anyone else. You may do what you want when you
write plugins. To go about saying that you must do it this way or that
way is not the intention of the community. Even more so, since you have
TWO methods of uninstalling your plugin. Once WordPress 2.7 is released,
even if one method is used more than the other, the second method will
still be supported nor removed. The whole argument that you shouldn't
uninstall a plugin at deactivation is what bought about uninstalling at
removal. I agree that deactivation shouldn't mean uninstall, because it
is recommended that users deactivate before upgrading. Many users will
be upset if you removed the settings on deactivation.

The argument that you should include a link, well several of the early
drafts of the patch did just that, in several different ways. It was
decided that since the majority of users will not want to just uninstall
a plugin (which is basically restoring the defaults or clearing or
cleaning of the plugin), unless they are completely removing it. You are
right that you can add your own link for uninstall, but a better name
would probably be "Restore defaults" instead.

Jacob Santos