[wp-hackers] PHP IDEs

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi computerguru at neosmart.net
Tue May 27 07:09:40 GMT 2008

> Its almost always the java virtual machine. Sometimes installing the JDK
> version helps (this is anecdotal not authoritative). Check it out here:
> http://java.sun.com/

There are many, lighter 3rd party ECMA implementations of the Java
runtime environment (and the development kit) that may provide better
performance, the one I seem to hear the most about from a
performance-perspective is JRockit, but there aren't (m)any benchmarks
that show an actual benefit to using one JVM over the other.

* http://www.usenix.org/event/jvm02/full_papers/jacob/jacob_html/node12.html
* http://mashuntilnogood.blogspot.com/2005/12/jvm-performance-comparison.html
* http://www.shudo.net/jit/perf/

Bottom line is sheer performance is the same across most JVMs; however
if you want to conserve memory or run Java apps on an older,
lesser-spec'd machine then give JRockit a shot.

I'm currently using OpenJDK on Linux and the performance is OK
(ironically, I get more responsive GUI Java apps on Windows). OpenJDK
w/ IcedTea patches seems (anecdotally) faster than the proprietary JVM
packages.

-MQ