[wp-hackers] Inline Documentation Effort was a Failure

Eric Marden wp at xentek.net
Sun May 25 04:20:18 GMT 2008

> Perhaps I could be like Lorelle is with the Codex and push for more
> effort in the inline documentation effort. I just need to find out
> how Lorelle does it and mimic it for the effort I'm pushing.

Start by not scolding the community.

> this is an open source community driven project. Or that would be
> accurate if Automattic wasn't a for-profit company.

Plenty of open source companies are for profit. Red Hat, MySQL,
Mozilla - the list goes on. The software is free, but running a
company is not. The corporations actually protect the project, keep it
free and true to the GPL and ensure its long term survival. In fact,
the whole point of the GPL is to give you freedom to do whatever you
want with the source code, including making money from it. This
includes you and me, as much as it does Automattic.

-e