[wp-hackers] "Action" links for plugins (was Plugin Settings Menu Location)

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Tue May 20 20:41:09 GMT 2008

On May 20, 2008, at 12:21 PM, Alexander Beutl wrote:

> *Do not generate any menu-items at all for one-time-config and do
> only put a
> link inside the plugin-table.
> *If your really think it is possible please be so pleasant to give
> me some
> information about how to add a page to the backend without making it
> appear
> inside the navigational structure... There may be workarounds with
> only
> adding it at special times while I am not convinced this would
> really work.

Hello all --

Per user DD32 on Trac, you can add things to the "Action" column of a
plugin on the Plugins page.

This would be an excellent way to add links to one-time setup config
pages for plugins.  Adds _nothing_ to the menus, and thus we can avoid
clutter.

<http://trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/5660>
Screenshot:
<http://trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/5660/example.png>

What we really *should* do before this becomes any kind of common
practice is to __standardize__ it, so that it is done the same on
different plugins.  Let's try to avoid having various plugins using
"Setup", "Settings", "Config", "Configuration", "Configure" etc. ad
nauseum

My suggestion for standard "Action" links for plugins:

Configure -- for one-time setup -- linked page DOES NOT appear
elsewhere in Admin

Settings -- links to Settings pages that DO appear elsewhere in
Admin.  Use this to avoid people not being able to find where you
tucked it....

Uninstall -- Removes preferences, extra tables, etc from database.
Completely remove plugin.

And of course, not going anywhere, is the standard:
Activate/Deactivate

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider