[wp-hackers] On Subversion and 2.5.x-alpha not being in Trunk

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Fri May 16 12:33:59 GMT 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008 22:25:02 +1000, John Blackbourn
<johnbillion+wp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok let's take this from a different angle.
>
> The problem here is that 2.5.x development is taking place inside
> /branches/2.5 while 2.6 is in /trunk.
>
> Really, 2.5.x development should be moved from /branches/2.5 to
> another location so /branches/2.5 acts just as /branches/2.3 and /2.2
> and /2.1 does.
>
> How were updates to 2.3 being handled while 2.5 development was in
> trunk? That's the model that needs to be mirrored here AFAICS.

By being commited to /branches/2.3 just as is happening at current with 2.5

If you look through the commit log, You'll see that /branches/2.3/ allways
contained the latest dev code for that branch, /brances/2.3 was never
"latest stable" mearly the code which would be used for the next 2.3.x
release.
http://trac.wordpress.org/log/branches/2.3

Changes have been made against /trunk/ and if tested OK, then backported
into the /branches/2.5/ branch, just as has been done in the past.

The only code on svn that is *Allways* the same, is what resides inside
the /tags/ folder, nothing once tagged should change, /branches/*/
contains the latest code for that branch, And /trunk/ contains the latest
code which will have bugs (/branches/*/ will also have bugs most likely as
well)

Looking back over the commit logs, /branches/ has allways been latest code
for a set branch, its never been static between builds, So i'm not sure
where the original suggestion that /branches/2.3/ or /branches/2.2/ were
constantly stable.