[wp-hackers] On Subversion and 2.5.x-alpha not being in Trunk

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Fri May 16 04:49:24 GMT 2008

Does SVN have any inbuilt aliasing functionality?

A different branch could be created, and every time a release is made, its
commited into that branch as well, but that seems a bit much of an extra
step to me.
So is it possible to setup a alias so that /branch/stable/  =>
/tags/2.5.1, and that a quick update could set it to 2.5.2?

If SVN doesnt(I couldnt see much on a quick google), Could the
svn:external property be used instead? ie. /branches/stable/ has the
property of svn:external tags/2.5.1, Any checkoutof /branches/stable would
pull in /tags/2.5.1, and then any updates would be able to pull in the
other branch.. Or is that not possible with the way svn:external works?

I'm just rambling out loud, I think a "Latest stable release" tag/branch
could be of great use to many people, but i dont know enough about svn's
internals to know exactly how it'd work.