[wp-hackers] On Subversion and 2.5.x-alpha not being in Trunk

Eric Marden wp at xentek.net
Fri May 16 02:45:06 GMT 2008

On May 14, 2008, at 5:11 PM, Jeremy Visser wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 14:02 -0700, Aaron D. Campbell wrote:
>> I have a lot of WordPress installs that I manage, and it would
>> be nice to just set a cron job to "svn up" every day (or once a week,
>> etc). There is a trac ticket asking for a stable tag like phpMyAdmin
>> does: http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3593
>
> I do that on a project of mine, and it's a pain in the butt to work.

Please go on. I'd like to see the reasoning behind not having a stable
tag that represents the same revision as /tags/2.5.1, etc?

Its trivial create two tags, one for the named version, and one for
the standing 'production/stable' tag. And given that WP doesn't
release a build lightly, it seems like it would add very little
overhead to whatever the existing process is. And if the process is
automated, then the overhead would be barely non-existent.

-e