[wp-hackers] Plugin Settings Menu Location

Eric Marden wp at xentek.net
Fri May 16 02:26:32 GMT 2008

>>> Something else to consider is the weight of precedent: almost all of
>>> the popular plugins I can think of...
>> ... do it the wrong way. Insert "jump off a bridge" analogy here.
> Ok - Matt has made WordPress the #1 Blogging Platform in the world
> all by
> himselfe. It wasn't the comunity nor the plugin builders. /irony-off
> You say all those plugin builders are wrong? Where would WP be
> without them?
> Not nearly where it is now - so they can not be such wrong at all
> nor did
> they jump off a bridge.

Its called an 'anti-pattern' and it happens all the time - even to the
best developers. New plugin developer wonders where to put it, and
puts it where others are putting, figuring they may know something
about the 'right' way to do it. There are plenty of plugins that I
wish weren't where they were, but there they are, and I get used to
it. My clients use limited accounts, and I just handle the sticky
details of plugin configuration, so it works for me. YMMV.

Personally, I think that they should placed in a "logical" location,
based on use. However, I don't think the whole of the community would
ever agree on what logical means for any given plugin. Though the
freedom for the plugin developer to choose is exactly why the hooks
are there.

Perhaps we can actually discuss what the best practices could be and
commit them to the codex? That way new developers are given guidance
when they need it, and over time the best practices will become the
norm.

-e