[wp-hackers] On Subversion and 2.5.x-alpha not being in Trunk

Daniel Torreblanca regulatethis at gmail.com
Wed May 14 21:12:41 GMT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Aaron D. Campbell <aaron at xavisys.com> wrote:
> I understand the problem.  He DOES want updates, but he only wants stable
> updates.  The problem with SVN Switch is that it's not easy to automate. I
> have a lot of WordPress installs that I manage, and it would be nice to just
> set a cron job to "svn up" every day (or once a week, etc). There is a trac
> ticket asking for a stable tag like phpMyAdmin does:
> http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3593

That kind makes sense, although when it comes to upgrading anything I
generally don't want it to happen automatically. It should be easy to
do only when I want it to happen. "svn switch" does that. And if the
only argument is "typing a URL is too long", bear in mind that
someone, somewhere, is going to have to update this stable tag and if
there is a mistake then _everyone_ will be screwed.

If someone wants to avoid the hassle of typing in a url after "svn
switch" I'd recommend a shell script that takes the version number as
an argument... i.e. "upgrade_wp 2.x", which would then run "svn
switch" with the appropriate URL.

Daniel