[wp-hackers] Plugin Settings Menu Location

Daniel Torreblanca regulatethis at gmail.com
Wed May 14 19:10:30 GMT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 2:48 PM, kingler <kingler at 72pines.com> wrote:
> It makes sense to me as well that the plugin options are better placed
> into the plugins menu. However, there are plugins that fits better
> under other sections, such as a plugin that manages category orders
> should better be placed under the "Manage" tab.
>
> For our WPMU site, we have used another approach. To improve user
> experiences, we have added a specific meta link in the plugin file
> descriptions. The link will only show up when the plugin is activated.
> If the plugin is just a widget, the link points to the widgets.php
> page, and if the plugin adds a page on the management section, the
> link goes to that section accordingly.
>
> -Liang

I think people might be confusing the issue here. We're arguing at the
semantic level, but the real problem is that there are TWO places to
stick plugin settings menu, when there should only be ONE. I honestly
don't think any user would care whether plugin settings are under
"Settings"  (or whatever) or under "Plugins" - it's the ambiguity that
makes this annoying.

Stick all my plugin settings in one place so I don't ever have to
wonder about where those new settings might be.

Daniel