[wp-hackers] Changing the clock format in Write > Post

Daniel Torreblanca regulatethis at gmail.com
Sun May 4 08:44:10 GMT 2008

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 4:10 AM, Alexander Beutl <xel at netgra.de> wrote:

>  > I don't see why this
>  > couldn't just be a user profile option (i.e. 24-hour or 12-hour clock,
>  > which examples).
>

>  Because there are some people (especially Matt Mullenweg) who really dislike
>  options - thats why I am always trying to leve them out when dealing with
>  WordPress, while I myselfe would prefere adding some options.
>

>  When you go to edit the timestamp of a post, new or existing, it populates
>  > with a time.  If it's in the evening, it's going to be a value higher than
>  > 12.  The way you suggest, for people who do not want to use 24 hour time,
>  > they would have to select the PM option and then subtract 12 (unless you
>  > do
>  > that automatically with JS).
>

>  And they would end up with what? with the same hour and no change. If they
>  want to change it they could perfectly well change the hour (without doing
>  calculations, just select the hour you want it) and the selections (if am
>  doesn't apply), if they are OK with the hour and are only changing the
>  minute they wouldn't have to think about the hour and leave it like it is -
>  but hey, it's just an idea anyway, trying to avoid options since they are
>  officially disliked (while I do not know why and if there are possibilities
>  where they aren't disliked). Of course one could add an option and put out
>  the time fields accordingly.
>

>  In my opinion, what you're describing is horribly unintuitive.
>
>  Hmm thinking it over I admit it will be unintuitive for many. Yes the way
>  with the options would be better. Someone should write that patch and then
>  we should hope it will be added to core.
>

>  Wow this seems like a totally unhelpful and sour attitude.
>
>  Sorry, not my intention.

Cool, this got a bit heated for some reason, I'm not sure why, but it
seems ok now. :)

I've written a patch and I'll be creating a ticket shortly after I
clean it up a bit. I took the options route, but it's my first patch
to WP (as well as my first non-trivial hack) so we'll see how it goes.
I'll post the ticket number in here once I've created it.

Daniel