[wp-hackers] Admin AJAX call with 404 error

Sören Weber mail at soeren-weber.net
Tue Mar 25 07:39:15 GMT 2008

Hi list,

I am in need for some help with an AJAX issue in my Exec-PHP plugin
(http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/exec-php/).

If the user is in WordPress' admin area, the plugin is retrieving some data
in the background. I implemented the AJAX calls as it is described in
http://codex.wordpress.org/AJAX_in_Plugins (section  Ajax on the
Administration Side). This usually works fine for most of my clients
including me.

On some blogs the plugin occasionally (not on every call) runs into a 404
error saying that <blog address>/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php isn't available.
The only thing I could think of causing this error may be some kind of time
out?!? But I haven't found a way to verify this nor a SACK API call to set
a timeout for the AJAX call.

Did some of you have an idea what's causing this? I am pretty much
clueless.

Thanks in advance
Sören