[wp-hackers] WP - Google Summer of Code

Cesar D. Rodas saddor at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 20:39:31 GMT 2008

Hello,

On 23/03/2008, Richard Brown <rich at cregy.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Cesar
>

> On 23/03/2008, Cesar D. Rodas <saddor at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >  Let me introduce my self, I am Cesar Rodas, a php && WP fan from
> Paraguay. I
> >  am studying Computer Programming and I am in the third year.
> >
> >  I want to propose two projects in Google Summer of Code for Wordpress.
> >  have describe one project here
> >  http://codex.wordpress.org/GSoC2008#Category_suggester, I don't know if
> >  can describe it here, If I cannot please apologizes me.
> >

> >  What the folk thing about my project?, What do you suggest to improved
> it?
> >  And what steps do I need to do for a formal proposal (I have write a
>
> >  document like this<
> http://codex.wordpress.org/GSoC_2008_Application_Template>but
>
> >  i don't know where send).
> >

> I am intrigued by the category project. I wonder whether you could
> expand on the advantages and disadvantages of this project and also
> maybe why you don't think it would work with tags. I think personally
> I am only just beginning to understand the use of categories and tags
> and I would appreciate to see how you might decide on a category as
> opposed to tagging!

The algorithm can work suggesting categories or tags (I just put category as
a generic name because it suggest anything related to categorization,
i.etags, categories, languages, if it is spam or not and so forth). I
have an
example which is an spam
detector<http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/4236.html>which
works with N-grams with great results on my tests.  Personally i don't
the different nor advantage to use tags instead of categories.

I think the main advantage is that the WP will be the "intelligence" to
suggest you tags or categories (or anything else that can be useful) based
on previous posts.