[wp-hackers] Use of _blank in wp-admin

Tim Kissane tim at timbury.net
Sat Mar 22 11:58:15 GMT 2008

As I wasn't among the authors of any version of html standards,
I don't know what the intended functionality was. It seems to
me that the standard should exist as a guide for browser and
page designers to ensure a smooth, consistent experience for
the user. Determining what functionality is "allowed" (artificially
limiting the technology), rather than how it is implemented, is
beyond the authority of the standards group.

By causing the target parameter to break validation, they have,
in effect, removed it. Naturally, I want my sites to validate. That
doesn't mean I want to lose functionality. So what does this mean?
It means I won't support xhtml, but will continue using html4.
I suppose I need to change the doctype in WP and remove any
offending tags (if any) that don't validate under html 4.01. What
a PITA this all is, eh? All I'm trying to do is create web sites. :)

@Jessica: I agree, unnecessary use of javascript should be discouraged.

Interesting article on html v5 and xhtml v2 for those interested
at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-html5xhtml2.html

Cheers.