[wp-hackers] GSoC 2008 Proposal: Core OpenID Support

Lloyd Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 02:20:32 GMT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Charles <lists07 at wiltgen.net> wrote:
> > What does OpenID specifically bring to the table for WordPress?
>
>  As you said, the goal should be to improve the experience of the WordPress
>  user.
>
>  For a good normal-user perspective, I recommend reading "Why OpenID" at
>  <http://openid.yahoo.com/>.  For many "normal" users, ID management is an
>  onerous, persistent and frustrating problem that the WP developer community
>  can either be proactive about or not.

Yes, it makes sense for Yahoo.com, WordPress.com and other huge
identity bases to be OpenID providers, but you haven't made a
connection to how these problems relates to the WordPress software
package.

>  Whether it's a plug-in or not doesn't seem as relevant as whether it's
>  part-and-parcel of WP or not.

Sorry, I don't understand what that means.

OpenID doesn't solve any problems for most bloggers or their blog's
participants. If you feel it does, I would love to hear a use case
that affects most WordPress participants.

Cheers,
--
Lloyd Budd | Digital Entomologist | | Skype:foolswisdom
WordPress.com | WordPress.org | Automattic.com