[wp-hackers] Revision Control in Post?

Paul Menard paul at codehooligans.com
Wed Mar 19 17:44:53 GMT 2008

Ben,

I'll offer my version of the Blicki plugin if you would like to
review. As I mentioned previous in this thread it's somewhat based on
the Blicki and wp-versioining plugins. Once important differece is my
version uses the wp_posts table not a new table. When the 'save_post'
is executed the plugin will simply capture the post information and
INSERT a new record into the wp_posts table. The post_type is set as
'_versioning'. Also a postmeta record is added for this newly inserted
posts. The postmeta value contains the version number

Under the Post/Page editor you will see something similar to the
following section http://screencast.com/t/0vgz1w9kX

The user can click on the 'View Revision' link under the item and see
the themed output in it's orignal format. Also, the user can click the
'Load this Revision in Editor'. This will copy the post_content
information and reload the editor page. No DB information is
manipulated for this action. In other words the plugin is not
attempting to 'rollback' or switch out the versions. At this point if
the user saves the reload content it simply creates the next version.

Simple enough.

Things I need sot add are copy all wp_post fields like Title, Excerpt,
etc. The plugin only reloads the post_content field.

I'm also working on a Revision tool for attachments. Mostly this is
for my clients who post revised PDF documents etc. They want the
ability to uplaod the new version but not change the Page links.

I'm making my beta version of the plugiin available for use or review.
I'll be posting it to the official plugin repository in the coming
week. Though if WP 2.6 is coming with Versioning built-in what is the
point really.

http://www.codehooligans.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Revisions-v0.9beta_20080316.zip

Paul Menard