[wp-hackers] GSoC 2008 proposal : Analysis and redesign of wordpress.org

Lloyd Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 16:02:42 GMT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Corey <corey at b5media.com> wrote:

>  I am Corey Shaffer and I am looking to be a student participant with WP once
>  again for the GSoC 2008.  Over the past year, I have become deeply
>  interested in both site usability and design.  My idea is to combine these
>  two growing passions in an effort to analyze and redesign wordpress.org.  I
>  am aiming to create a fresher look that is professional, but simple and
>  efficient in delivering its message.  I want to collect input on what people
>  would like to see in the new site look and also make sure that the site is
>  structured in such a way that it is user-friendly.  The site is powerful and
>  contains a wealth of great information, but I want to make sure the average
>  person accessing it leaves with the information they intend to retrieve.
>
>  Please let me know any thoughts, improvements or suggestions you have for
>  this intended proposal!  Thank you all for your time and I hope to have a
>  chance to display my work to the WordPress community.

Hi Corey,

I'm excited to hear that you are looking to participate again this
year in GSoC with WordPress -- have you grabbed 2.5rc1 and are taking
it for a spin?

I don't think that will be a successful application. Although last
year we accepted some applications that weren't focused on software
development, this year we will be even more focused on the C in GSoC,
because frankly software development is the expertise of the mentors
and the projects progress and successes are much more easily measured
if focused on code.

You will be happy to know that Matt Thomas and team have been working
on a redesign of WordPress.org .

Hope that helps,
--
Lloyd Budd | Digital Entomologist | | Skype:foolswisdom
WordPress.com | WordPress.org | Automattic.com