[wp-hackers] Probably best to move tickets to 2.7 instead

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Mon Mar 10 06:45:11 GMT 2008

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:27:16 +1100, Jacob Santos <wordpress at santosj.name> wrote:

> "I'm not just any programmer, I'm a developer." It is something that puts you above the rest. Anyone can code, but those that have the fortitude to write documentation and unit tests are far more reliable with their code than those who don't. This isn't geared towards DD32, but anyone who codes (myself included, I'll be honest, I haven't been writing test cases, so if you excuse me I have to whip myself for being arrogant. Just how many slashes is that again?).

Your perfectly right, Writing test cases which can be re-used by others is an important part of becoming a professional developer, and so is Documentation, The worst possible function can be made a heck of a lot simpler to read if some documtation is available inline, or as a docblock.

I personally have *never* written a *proper* test case which can be re-used; I however, like many programmers, have writtne many test-cases for while debugging a function, eg. pass it data in several forms and check the return value is correct. However programs such a PHPUnit scare me; Simply because i've not used them before, Or understood how to write the test cases once i'm looking at the examples.

However, I am going to look into writing test cases, maybe not specifically for WordPress(but most likely as well), because as you say, The difference between being a programmer, and being a developer, is doing things right; Anyone can program these days, Heck, Some even do it well, But theres more to being a Developer than just writing code.

(Btw, Where the ... are the current wordpress unit tests?)