[wp-hackers] Re: The fixed with of the admin area

Viper007Bond viper at viper007bond.com
Wed Mar 5 11:49:15 GMT 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 11:40 PM, Anirudh Sanjeev <anirudh at anirudhsanjeev.org>
wrote:

> > I disagree -- I, and I think many others here, want _exactly_ that. I
> have
> > 19" CRT monitor at 1600x1200 resolution for a reason. If I didn't want
> it
> > that wide, I could easily just resize my browser.
>
> There is a problem with having text go extremely wide.
>
> If you observe gmail, though the mail writing field is large and wide, all
> your messages have a fixed width as far as gmail shows it. The reason is
> when you're reading along line, you're prone to skip lines or not remember
> where you left off.

Sorry, but you're incorrect. All of my non-plain text e-mails are full width
(and I prefer it that way). wp-hackers, etc. all just add line breaks at X
characters which is why you're mistaken.

If I wanted to scroll a lot, I'd run a lower resolution.

Suppose line n was very long and the text is itself extremely long, Then at
> the end of line n, you might skip to line n+1 or there is a good
> probability
> you might skip to line (n+2). The human mind works that way. Just this
> that
> if the text is very wide, you might have difficulties reading large pieces
> of text. Don't take my word for it, try opening up a project gutenburg or
> large text in notepad and maximize it. See how far you'll read before you
> start getting annoyed with the width.

I've run this resolution and read text like that for many, many years. I
love it.

I'll try finding a proper usability article either from Jakob Neilsen or
> someone.
>
> But the fact is, after a width of around 1000 px, it starts to get a
> little
> difficult to work around with.

Then don't run a wide resolution...

(I'm not trying to be an ass BTW, just saying it comes down to personal
choice and tastes and out of the box, WordPress is forcing it's upon me.)

--
Viper007Bond | http://www.viper007bond.com/ | http://www.finalgear.com/