[wp-hackers] GSoC Proposal: Integrate WP-cache / WP Super Cache into WordPress

Ronald Heft ron at cavemonkey50.com
Mon Mar 3 01:26:31 GMT 2008

I really appreciate everyone's input. This seems to certainly strike a cord
with everyone.
However, after some consideration, I have decided that I will probably
*not* pursue this project as my Summer of Code project. My reasons are as
follows:

- This seems to be a very passionate issue for most people. Everyone has
their opinion as to what method is more important. Some feel we should be
addressing WordPress run on higher end websites (adding support for things
like memcache), while others feel we need to look at running with as little
as possible (loading only the bare minimal code and queries).

- The census appears that instead of putting a band-aid (caching) on a
wound, we should be addressing the real issue, optimization. Unfortunately,
I'm sure if I would be the right person to address optimization. I would
certainly give it my best if I would be working on this over the summer, but
more than likely someone with better experience in that area would do a
better job.

So, yeah, I'm not completely objecting to doing this over the summer, and I
still may if I cannot come up with anything else that people are interested
in, but I would probably be better suited for something else. I feel whoever
tackles the optimization issue should have some background experience in the
area, as most people are looking for some true optimizations, and not some
band-aids.