[wp-hackers] Copyright violations by plugin in the WordPress plugin directory.

Andrew Ferguson andrew at fergcorp.com
Fri Jun 27 22:39:15 GMT 2008

> Yes, and by releasing it under the GPL, he has already "let" everyone
> else use it under terms that do not require those people to give
> attribution, AFAICT.

Here's my final thought: at the very least, the originator of the work must
be legally know in case questions he/she must be contacted for whatever
reason. In short, attribution is given by ensure that a trail of contributor
names are left.

> PS - Andrew, I missed your initial quote from the GPLv3, but I don't
> know if you can necessarily apply that, since this plugin does not
> directly reference the GPL v3. WP is under GPL v2 (IIRC), and I don't
> think there is any implication that plugins in the repo are
> automatically v3 if not otherwise stated. Be happy to see something
> that indicates otherwise, though.

GPLv2 is essentially the same. Section 2(a): "You must cause the modified
files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and the
date of any change."