[wp-hackers] WP 2.5 gallery breaking xhtml 1.0

Alex Hempton-Smith hempsworth at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 20 14:02:54 GMT 2008

> The gallery should put a simple unordered list of the pictures into
> the post, with useful classes like gallery and such.

The problem comes with themes which aren't updated regularly; users will
implement the gallery feature and won't have the necessary skills to fix the
stylesheet, and they'll think WP is broken or something. I completely agree
that the core shouldn't be adding any styles, but I think we do need a
fall-back for older themes.

This fall-back should be in the form of a default plugin which adds the
styles for older themes. Newer themes could instruct users to disable the
"Gallery Styles Plugin", or of course the Codex can have ready a piece of
code theme authors could paste into the functions.php file to disable the
plugin if it is installed?

Or, if we don't want the plugin installed by default, when people say on the
support forums that "my gallery doesn't look like Matt's, it's just a list",
forum staff can just direct them to the "Gallery Styles Plugin" to get
things sorted.

Just an idea.