[wp-hackers] Discussion about Optional Closing PHP tags in the WordPress Library

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Wed Jun 18 02:09:13 GMT 2008

Depends, it is more likely than not, that the person that filed in the
ticket in question did open the file in their editor to figure out where
a function is. Some editors have issues (Dreamweaver) with the different
styles and doubling the new lines.

To answer your question, if it was more of a problem, then there would
be a lot more people facing the problem, so I doubt that the exception
will be made. My opinion of course.

Actually, it is probably that no one edits their wp-config.php file
after WordPress makes it. I doubt many end users are going to do it,
even if it should be done for the SECRET_KEY constant.

I suppose there should be some way to tell people who face this issue
that they shouldn't be editing PHP without making them feel like they
are idiots and shouldn't be editing PHP.

Sigh, actually, I do know of a couple more instances where the dreaded
double new lines caused issues and tickets on the Trac. Just close as
invalid and inform the submitter that the problem is not the fault of
WordPress. Just one solution I suppose.

Jacob Santos