[wp-hackers] Idea: Plugin Version Limitation

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Tue Jun 17 01:18:47 GMT 2008

On Jun 16, 2008, at 8:55 AM, Otto wrote:

> Firefox has a system where, when you upgrade, addon's that are not
> tagged as being compatible with the new version are automatically
> deactivated....
>
> WordPress could introduce a new plugin field, "max version" or
> something similar, where a plugin can specify this as well. It could
> then keep incompatible plugins from being activated on upgrades.

There was discussion recently about adding a _minimum_ WP version to
plugins.  This I would certainly support.

I don't like the idea of a "shut it down" max version.  Not even sure
if I like a notification....  Are people really having big problems
with this?

Austin said:
> WordPress has the wordpress.org
> API hard-coded into the code.  So WordPress setups using custom
> plugins would 1) never notify their users of updates 2) would
> consequently lose their functionality upon upgrades.

1) A plugin author can hook after_plugin_row (or something like that)
and add his own custom update notice if he chooses.

2) Hopefully, not-checked/unknown notification is coming: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5117
 >.  The patch is made; it's waiting on approval and a change in the
update server output.

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider