[wp-hackers] On reality-challenged equids

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 11:21:52 GMT 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 2:32 AM, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> The idea is but a foal, but some of the more observant amoung you have
> noticed the new branch in the WP subversion, crazyhorse.
>
> Basically the idea is to create a one-time sandbox for experimentation on a
> number of different approaches to the WP interface, which will then be
> systematically tested (with lasers!) and different elements compared to 2.5
> and 2.3.
>
> The crazyhorse repository is here:
>
> http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress/branches/crazyhorse/
>
> I hope within a few weeks to have it resemble the look and functionality
> outlined in this PDF (beta):
>
> http://ma.tt/dropbox/2008/06/wordpress-prototype-1.1.pdf
>
> (Just a work in progress, there will be more of these.)
>
> Like a movie set, some things (like global search) will probably be left as
> placeholders. 95% of effort will be on the front end functionality, and if
> the idea sticks we'll make it more robust.
>
> A few notes:
>
> * This is an experiment!
> * Releases will still always be named for jazz musicians.
> * We will be free with commit access to the crazyhorse branch in the
> interest of expediting the prototype -- this doesn't change policy or access
> for core committers.
> * The branch will be highly volatile.
> * If you want to help out with this sprint, speak up. :)

First blush impressions:

1) The interface is a fairly close function-alike to Tiger Admin
and/or Fluency Admin.
2) The return of the draggable elements is a welcome one.
3) The quick post widget is a waste of space, IMNSHO. I know it's
looking to save some clicks, but you could go one further and save
yourself clicking through to the admin interface entirely and simply
install a Prologue-alike theme to allow posting from the front page.
4) Testing with frickin' lasers might not be the best overall plan
unless they come pre-attached to ill-tempered mutant sea bass.
5) Who's the Neil Young fan?

--
-Doug
http://literalbarrage.org/blog/