[wp-hackers] odd behaviour vs. global variables

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Fri Jun 13 15:23:39 GMT 2008

You are misunderstanding how PHP works with global/local variables.

When you put
    global $var_abc;
inside of a function, that says that inside this function, when you
type $var_abc, you are referring to the global version of $var_abc.

So your function is ignoring the passed-in local version of
$do_comment, in favor of the global $do_comment (which presumably has
not been defined).

Here is what you need to do to fix this (or something similar):

// this is the global variable,
// which you need to declare outside the function
$do_comment = 0;

// use a different name for your local variable argument
function dosomething($do_comment_loc) {

     global $do_comment;

     $do_comment = $do_comment_loc;

     print_r($do_comment);
     return $do_comment_loc; // or alternatively: die();
}

add_action('preprocess_comment', 'dosomething');

     --Jennifer

--
Jennifer Hodgdon * Poplar ProductivityWare
www.poplarware.com

Drupal/WordPress Sites, Themes, Modules/Plugins
Custom Web Programming, Web Databases
PHP, Perl, MySQL, JavaScript, XML, AJAX