[wp-hackers] wp + mysql ?

Kimmo Suominen kimmo at global-wire.fi
Fri Jun 13 12:32:34 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:35:11AM -0400, Daniel Torreblanca wrote:
> Aside from prepared statements and any of the implicit benefits
> brought by mysqli, can anyone think of any other explicit advantages
> to switching? Not to diminish the impact of what I just mentioned -
> prepared statements is a great feature.

I'm worried about the impact of prepared statements not using the query
cache at all for older MySQL versions.

    7.5.4. The MySQL Query Cache
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/query-cache.html

See the 5th paragraph (3rd "Note").

Beginning with 5.1.17 prepared statements use the query cache under
certain conditions as described in

    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/query-cache-how.html

Search for "prepared statements" to find the relevant section.

Beginning with 5.1.21 the cache is used in more cases.

I'm still running the 5.0 branch of MySQL, and many are probably
still stuck with 4.x.

Best regards,
+ Kimmo
--