[wp-hackers] Plugins "update not checked"interface

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Thu Jun 12 05:19:29 GMT 2008

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:02:48 +1000, Stephen Rider
<wp-hackers at striderweb.com> wrote:
> Here's a test screenshot.  The top three plugins have a different
> version:
>
> http://striderweb.com/wp-content/docs/no-updates.png

I thought i'd just throw my thought in here:
While not everyone likes it, At present, The plugins page has been
seperated into 2 groups: Active, And Inactive plugins (as well as a
recently activated list, but lets not worry about that right now); as a
result of that, The Status column was removed.

Having an extra status column in the case where its 2 lists was useless.
(But: Please dont turn this into a lets change it back thread, its not
what its about, Thoughts on how it can work with *both* layouts should be
discussed)

Thoughts:
A row underneath the plugin saying "This plugin isnt checked for updated"
looks messy to me, Too much space used up, potentially when there are a
lot of plugins which do not appear on WordPress.org.
Having an extra column with the update information is kind of anoying,
Theres too much text (Update available, Upgrade automatically, Version
available) for a single discrete column
That was why a extra row was added for the plugin update notification,
Generally, That row will only be there for a short time, as people will
upgrade the plugin when they see it, Thats not going to happen with the
non-hosted plugins, They're not going to uninstall or find a different
plugin because of that if it does its job.

So that still leaves the question, What is left to actually show the
plugin is not checked?

Maybe a paragraph at the top or bottom of the page:
"The following plugins cannot be automatically checked for updates, or
upgraded automatically as they are not hosted on WordPress.org:
<strong>Plugin 1, Testers Plugin 2, My In-development plugin 3</strong>"

Or maybe the text "<i>Cannot check for updates</i>" under the plugin name?