[wp-hackers] Plugins "update not checked"interface

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Tue Jun 10 16:45:37 GMT 2008

> To me it seems like it would be more suited as a part of the status
column.
> It looks like the status column contains one of the following:

Not quite accurate, as that's actually the "Action" column.  (You'll note
that there is also already an "Edit" link there if the plugin directory can
be edited.)  This is also the place where plugin authors can put Actions
such as Uninstall, links to a Settings page, and so forth.  Not the best
place for an information field, IMO.

<http://planetozh.com/blog/2008/04/4-checkpoints-to-make-sure-plugin-update-notices-in-wordpress-will-work/>)

> So, basically, the messages must be something like:
> - up to date
> - outdated
> - unknown: could not check (and we can't be more specific at this point)

The messages "must" be whatever we make them.  ;-)   I think you're looking
at this from the code end of things -- we should consider it from the
User's perspective.  The distinction of whether it's not on WP Extend or
there's a problem that prevents checking is of no concern to Joe Blogger.

I'm using "Not checked for update" for the simple phrasing, in place of the
slightly more accurate "We're not automatically giving you update status,
regardless of the reason".  I'm trying to choose phrasing that suggests:

a) it's not a program fault, it's just a statement.  ("unknown" to me
suggests something went wrong)

b) there might be an update out there, but you'll have to look yourself.

c) is self-explanatory.  "Unknown" doesn't work -- it would have to be
"Update status is unknown" or somesuch -- which again, IMO, suggests a
program fault as opposed to a simple statement.

The phrasing _is_ important, so I appreciate this discussion; but it's also
easily changed later.  Right now I'm mainly looking for discussion on Where
and How to display the status within the existing interface.

Regards,

Stephen