[wp-hackers] Seeking feedback on Plugins UI

Stefano Aglietti steagl4ml at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 08:09:46 GMT 2008

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 17:14:01 +1000, DD32 <wordpress at dd32.id.au> wrote:

>Much the same as the Media uploader, So a similar format to Press This
>too, just not in its own window :)

>Caching the information clientside while flipping through the
>Description/FAQ/Installation tabs would be done of course.

Nice :)

>The list could be filtered server side to not show plugins which require a
>later version of WordPress, However, I think this might work instead:
>
>Displaying the "Requires" & "Tested up to" field is something that would
>be on the detailed view, But also would be good on the plugins list,
>Perhaps differing background colours (As well as a value shown somewhere)
>Green: Known to be compatible
>Yellow: Has not been tested with the current version of wordpress
>White: Unknown tested up to version
>Red: Plugin requires a later version of WordPress

Like the idea of colours, I dont' like the idea to have full
background couloured, even if some plugins shoudl show up a nice
combination of grren/white/red that's tha italian flag :)

>The benefit of this (rather than filtering out incomparible plugins) would
>be to allow users to know that there *is* a plugin which will fill the use
>they want, However, to use it, they'll need a later version of WordPress.
>(Installation would also not be offered if the plugin requires a later
>edition)

I totally agree!

>Maybe another colour for "Has been tested to work with this branch"(eg.
>Running 2.6.1, plugin has been tested up to 2.6.0, It should not give the
>same warning as if it was only tested up to 2.3 or 2.5)
>
>Or even a column "Compatible": "Yes", "Maybe: Tested to 2.5.2", "Unknown",
>"Requires WordPress 2.7"

Text would be more clear, with coulors only you will need a map to
explain the use of colour, what about a ribbon with thext inside, the
ribbon is coloured in the way u said above, with an extra explanatory
text inside? The colors suggested for various status it's ok for me.

Email: steve at 40annibuttati.it steagl at people.it