[wp-hackers] Black Hat Chinese Hackers - Looking for your input

MLR mlrichard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 19:23:36 GMT 2008

Hi Guys,

I have noticed two things:
- The combination of the Words WordPress and Hack mostly return topics
about making WP do cool things (the spirit of this mailing list)
- Most requests for info about fixing hacked blogs are dead ends on
wordpress.org

Today I am trying to fix a hacked blog without simply starting over. I
want to know what happened to create the following problem:

All request in the address bar to ANY wp-admin files returns a 404 error.

the .htaccess file seems clean.

All files were at 2.5.1

I have already overwritten all files in sequence to spot which one
would have rogue code.

I checked the theme it seems fine (no encoded bits of javascript or rogue code)

I have removed the javascript functions at the bottom of the index.php
that a bot inserts everyday on the site.

Your pointers will definitely help me understand the source of the issue.

What is your opinion on the usefullness of this plugin?
http://www.askapache.com/wordpress/htaccess-password-protect.html

(I know this is easely done the classic way but don't we all have a
gazillion blogs to manage!?!)

Thanks a lot,
Marie-Lynn
http://www.friendly-webmaster.com