[wp-hackers] WordPress eXtended RSS DTD

Xavier Borderie xavier at borderie.net
Fri Jul 18 14:46:26 GMT 2008

>> Yet Geoffrey is right too. The good thing with using XML is that it
>> helps portability, yet without a proper DTD, WXR is as useful to other
>> projects as a straight file-dump would be.
>
> Really? Okay, then please point out where the *official* RSS2 DTD file
> resides, eh?
>
> Sure, you can find one people made, but the scheme itself got wide
> acceptance without one. You don't need a DTD to read a file, a DTD is
> only really for validation, and even then it doesn't really validate
> the data, just the format.

Back in 2003, Meg Hourihan was writing the now-defunct Kinja.com, and
wrote a rant about OPML's failing DTD (OPML having been designed by
the same developer as RSS2, as you know), rant that I think applies
just as well to RSS' lacking DTD, or from there extends (heh, get it?
xml? extends?) to just about any badly documented XML format, and how
developers tend to understand the way they work as they see fit to
their own purposes.
http://meg.hourihan.com/2003/08/no-extends

I think "discrepancy" is the word I'm looking for here, but then again
I'm French, what do I know? :)

--
Xavier Borderie