[wp-hackers] Re: Spam Karma goes GPL

Xavier Borderie xavier at borderie.net
Tue Jul 15 16:44:49 GMT 2008

> Why does it bother you to contract out
> your comment spam-scanning to Akismet?

Please re-read: I wrote "there might some people out there who'd
rather not", not "I want it that way". I myself do not have an issue
with that - hey, I'm using the Akismet plugin for Spam Karma, which
means that smelly comments are further tested through Akismet...

Myself, I still use and recommand SK because I've always been using
it, it hardly ever fails me, I like the developer's blog, and have
even met him at a bloggers meeting in Paris.
I also like Matt's blog, and have met him in Paris too, but anyway...

> Question: Are you against the whole concept of distributed computing
> or webservices as well?

I'm not at all against this concert, as you understand now. I'm
against the death a good code that still gets the job done (and
well-done in my opinion), and am against the lack of alternative.

> Not to mention that a closed-source spam filtering application is theoretically harder
> to circumvent.

I know that, and it's an obvious advantage to open-source solutions,
that's for sure.
Now, playing the devil's advocate, wouldn't some people like to know
why their own comments are treated? :)

Just sayin'. I think there's a place for both solutions.

--
Xavier Borderie