[wp-hackers] (Fwd) WP Tuner plugin alpha - useful? suggestions, feedback we

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Fri Jul 11 00:39:10 GMT 2008

I'm not sure I've seen code that was object oriented and procedural with
majority of usage with globals. Did you choose that because of the
performance of using globals vs properties?

Using microtime() (or was it time(), but I hope it wasn't time()) is not
the best method to tell the performance. It might tell you trouble spots
of where to look, but it is using a broad brush when you should be using
a finer one.

It is slightly funny, I made a similar plugin:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/performance-testing/ with a similar
goal. Great minds must think alike eh? Or at least need breeds
invention, so on and so on.

There aren't hundreds, there are currently only two. Yours and mine
(that I know of, there might be some private ones out there) and I look
forward to what you come up with. Some of your code did give a few ideas.

One suggestion is to use the XDebug xdebug_time_index( ) to get the
time. It might give a better indicator. What I do like about your plugin
is that you don't require any extra PHP extensions that are non-standard
on most PHP installations, like mine does. However, I do think that if
someone is going to be profiling and debugging they should be using
XDebug to do so.

Good luck,

Jacob Santos