[wp-hackers] New uploader from #5722 in [6659]

Knut-Olav Hoven hovenko at linpro.no
Tue Jan 29 13:00:11 GMT 2008

I'm voting down

To solve this "a lot of javascript in an iframe" (problem?), it chould be just
a form with an "Upload file" button that works just like "Save draft" which
also handles the uploaded file. When hit, the post is saved and the file is
uploaded. Easy? I believe so.

On Monday 28 January 2008 22:29:50 Andy Skelton wrote:
> Since http://trac.wordpress.org/changeset/6659 we have a new uploader
> in trunk. It will need some attention before 2.5 is released and I
> think it's best if some people besides Alex and myself can hack it.
> Thus I am posting the remainder of the todo list and ideas that we
> didn't complete so that you may familiarize yourself with the code and
> contribute something to its completion if you are interested.
>
> First, a bit of explanation. The picture uploader accepts a single
> image file, uploads it with a progress bar, attaches it to the post,
> pre-fills some info from the file's metadata into the attachment
> record, and gives the user a form for editing that record and
> inserting the image into the post. The multimedia uploader lets you
> select multiple files of multiple types (double entendre, heh) and
> uploads them one at a time, shows individual progress bars, and lets
> you start editing the titles/descriptions/taxonomies as soon as the
> first file is done. It also lets you edit all of the attachments on
> any post after-the-fact, including attachments uploaded using earlier
> WordPress versions. Finally, the multimedia uploader will send the
> entire set of attachments to the post as a little macro (shortcode)
> that works like the embed codes on WordPress.com and an API is
> included for plugging in new macros.
>
> Error handling: the single uploader is pretty solid but needs testing.
> The multi uploader needs testing and error display work. The basic
> idea is to show errors without changing the work flow. Errors may be
> shown on individual progress bars or description forms if appropriate.
> Otherwise they should appear at the top and disappear when
> appropriate.
>
> Attachment sorting: the queries for displaying attachments already
> have "ORDER BY menu_order ASC, ID ASC" but there is currently no UI
> for sorting the attachments. I tried to make the bars sortable with
> the included jQuery library but something about the positioning made
> it all go haywire. I hope somebody can add sorting to the multimedia
> uploader without creating additional UI elements.
>
> Attachment template tags: we need functions to find adjacent
> attachments (having same post_parent, using ORDER BY as above) and
> displaying those much like previous/next post links. Also, support for
> taxonomies is included in the multimedia uploader and it needs to be
> added to the default template. It should at least display the taxonomy
> title and list the terms.
>
> More about taxonomies: there is an example at the bottom of media.php.
> Basically, one line of code is all you need in order to add an
> attachment taxonomy; it will automatically be added to the multimedia
> uploader (thanks to the excellent new taxonomy API). What's missing is
> a template tag for displaying plugged-in taxonomies. It should have
> options for formatting (paragraph or list style, before/after tags,
> [...]

Knut-Olav Hoven
Systemutvikler               mob: +47 986 71 700
Linpro AS                    http://www.linpro.no/