[wp-hackers] Tag cloud semantics

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Wed Jan 23 22:45:18 GMT 2008

On Jan 23, 2008, at 3:37 PM, Andy Skelton wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2008 10:13 AM, Stephen Rider <wp-hackers at striderweb.com>
> wrote:
>> How about producing styles of 100+n percent ?  Then the cloud itself
>> can have a font size set (say... 80%), and individual tags within
>> would be sized relative to that.  The 80% would be the smallest
>> tags....
>
> This is the most interesting idea I've seen here, but I still don't
> see any problems with using explicit sizes.
>
> I do not like the idea of a finite number of size classes for tag
> clouds.[...]

In essence, my idea would be solid numbers.  To specify my previous
note a bit more:

We could use PHP to assign inline styles -- e.g. style="font-size:
104%" -- based on the "rank" of the tags.  Work the math so that the
smallest size is 100% (100+0) and the largest is, say, 200% (100
+100).  Depending on the size of the range, the increments could be
tightened up -- e.g. if there are only ten sizes, the calculation
might be 100+(n*10) percent; if 200 sizes, it might be 100+(n*0.5)
percent.

The theme could then set the overall sizing by giving a size to the
entire list.

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider