[wp-hackers] Selected Improvements to the Core

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Sun Jan 13 03:31:01 GMT 2008

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Jacob Santos">
>

>> There needs to be a way to say to the user, "Oops, sorry, I'm dependent on
>> several factors and you don't met those." Which is currently lacking in
>> the patch. It might be confusing for users to click activate and have
>> WordPress say the plugin was activated, but not have the plugin be
>> activated.  However, I'm unsure how to do this at this point.
>>
>> I still would rather have something that allows me prevent my plugin's
>> activation until my plugin's requirements are met.
>>

> How about something like the following?
>
>   http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/2008/activated-but-inoperable.txt
>
> - Jeff

Yeah, there are workarounds. My solution was similar to DD32, except I
didn't have the benefit of a function. However, it would be easier and
more widely used, if the interface was easier. I can live with DD32's
suggestion, but I would like to have that functionality outside of the
activate if at all possible.

I might as well suggest with a little bit of documentation added to the
codex that the ticket be closed out as "won't fix" since the solution
doesn't involve manually hacking the active plugins list, which I
seriously don't want any plugins to do.

--

Jacob Santos

http://www.santosj.name - blog
http://funcdoc.wordpress.com - WordPress Documentation Blog/Guide Licensed under GPLv2

Also known as darkdragon and santosj on WP trac.