[wp-hackers] Selected Improvements to the Core

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Sun Jan 13 01:16:43 GMT 2008

*Memory Limit*

On the topic of memory limits, the patch [1] works for increase the
memory limit. Having it in WordPress might do well to decease the amount
of support tickets based on 8MB limits. However, it will only work on
hosts which allow for increasing the memory limit and don't disable
ini_set() function.

As a bonus, there is an additional API function, which will slow
increment the memory limit as it is needed. So that function can be
placed in loops that have known high memory usage and it will increase
the memory limit. The function is also for plugins which also have that
same problem and only want to increase the memory limit as it is needed.

*Pre-Activation Hook*

There is no dependency API in WordPress, so there has been times when I
didn't want my plugin to be enabled until another plugin was enabled. It
allows me to distribute one plugin with most of the functionality that
is needed, much like the WordPress Plugin Framework and plugins that
require that plugin to be enabled first.

There needs to be a way to say to the user, "Oops, sorry, I'm dependent
on several factors and you don't met those." Which is currently lacking
in the patch. It might be confusing for users to click activate and have
WordPress say the plugin was activated, but not have the plugin be
activated. However, I'm unsure how to do this at this point.

I still would rather have something that allows me prevent my plugin's
activation until my plugin's requirements are met.

[1] http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3141
[2] http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4048

Any feedback is appreciated.

--

Jacob Santos

http://www.santosj.name - blog
http://funcdoc.wordpress.com - WordPress Documentation Blog/Guide Licensed under GPLv2

Also known as darkdragon and santosj on WP trac.