[wp-hackers] Google Summer of Code 2008

Brian Layman Brian at thecodecave.com
Fri Feb 29 13:10:27 GMT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: wp-hackers-bounces at lists.automattic.com
[mailto:wp-hackers-bounces at lists.automattic.com] On Behalf Of Lloyd Budd
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 11:52 AM
To: wp-hackers at lists.automattic.com
Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] Google Summer of Code 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 2:07 AM, Peter Westwood
<peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk> wrote:

>>  ~From my experience last year I think we would do better to have a set
of
>>  front line mentors with a student each and then a number of backup
>>  mentors for the students to refer to when the primary mentor is
>>  busy/unavailable.

>A backup mentor is a great idea, or if two mentors are passionate
>about the same project then co-owning a project would seem like a
>great approach as well.

I would agree.  It helps to have conversation to ensure things are going
correctly.

>>  We also need to centralise the reporting and feedback a bit more

>I don't think that was a problem, the problem if there was one, was
>mentors not following up on missed reports or other commitments.

I do think that a report should be submitted by the mentors every two weeks.
Just as it helps the students to report progress, it will help the mentors.

>  I am will to Mentor again this year - I would prefer to be a backup
>  mentor this year though as I will be out of touch for part of the active
>  program period and around the time of the mid-term evaluation

With a backup system there I agree the participation will be more rewarding
for all involved and will probably increase the number of volunteers.  It
makes me more excited about the program.

Brian Layman
b5media Inc.
www.b5Media.com / www.TheCodeCave.com
Skype: BrianLayman