[wp-hackers] GSoC Proposal: Integrate WP-cache / WP Super Cache into WordPress

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Fri Feb 29 06:01:46 GMT 2008

Eric Marden wrote:
> I'm all for the idea of including a caching solution into the Core,
> but I don't think that we should utilize a plugin, that has another
> plugin as a dependency. I'm not discounting their work -- I use one or
> the other of those plugins on all of my WP sites.
>
> But there is an opportunity here to create a WP wide caching mechanism
> that could be utilized throughout the code to speed it up. The 3 step
> cache that WP-Super Cache does is fantastic, but its not complete nor
> is it an example of the very best caching solution ever -- again this
> doesn't detract from its usefulness or how great it performs, and is
> just my opinion.
>
> Additional things I'd like to see in a 'core' caching solution:
>
> Additional Cache back-ends (apc, memcached, etc)
> More granular control over what gets cached (header & sidebar are, but
> posts on page aren't, etc)
> Ability to use the cache api in my plugins
> ...etc
>
> > How often are you going to edit a past post from 1 week, 1 month, 3
> months, 6 months
> > or one year ago? Probably never.
>
> I do it all the time. In fact, I highly recommend going back and
> reading your old posts... it will make you a better writer, and let
> you fix obvious mistakes you totally missed before, but you'll also
> get an interesting look at yourself from an angle you may have never
> seen before. :)
>
> -e

That is true. I do enjoy rereading the terrible writings and seeing all
the mistakes I've made. I will say, that above all just writing does
work well for me. I'm guessing your method, since it involves more
thought and fixing old mistakes and therefore learning as to not repeat
the same mistakes helps a lot more (that and I still terrible at writing
kind of proves your point). I'll have to think that over, but with 400
posts, I'm not seeing how that will happen any time soon. It is a great
idea.

I do wonder, if you are the exception, and if that is the case, then in
your case and others it would just invalidate the cache for that post
and when it is hit again will be cached once that happens.

I also don't think APC, memcache, etc should be part of the core. You
would either need more options in the settings or have overhead from
checking to see if the functionality exists. Probably will want to stick
with disk caching, even if it doesn't have as much advantage on some
host storage. On some systems, as it has been reported in the past,
retrieval from the disk is actually slower than accessing the databases
(I want to say NFS, but that might not be right).

Thinking it over, I wouldn't want to be the person that would build this
system. Thinking about all of the issues that might come up, I'm not
sure that I'd be able to fix them. It is extremely fascinating, but part
of it from the complexity of implementing such a system.

--

Jacob Santos

http://www.santosj.name - blog
http://funcdoc.wordpress.com - WordPress Documentation Blog/Guide Licensed under GPLv2

Also known as darkdragon and santosj on WP trac.