[wp-hackers] Re: 2.5 admin menu thoughts

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Mon Feb 25 01:21:43 GMT 2008

On 2/25/08, Liz Danzico <liz at bobulate.com> wrote:
> > We need to make a HIG decision first.  Right now all of our dialogs
>  > have the primary right-most.  We need to decide if we want to change
>  > that and if dialog button order rules should be the same as button
>  > order rules in other places.  Bulk operation buttons, for example, try
>  > to put the most used left-most, nearest the checkboxes.
>

> The user interface guidelines, at least at this point, have the
>  primary buttons left-aligned under the fields they refer to so users
>  have the clearest path to their primary action. This is chiefly based
>  on the extensive user research that Luke W's done on button alignment
>  with field labels.
>

>  http://www.lukew.com/resources/articles/PSactions.asp
>

> And so: http://bobulate.com/wpig/wiki/index.php?title=Buttons
>
>  (But this doesn't answer the question about the Dashboard—a different
>  case altogether. This just for reference...)

Bah, hate to double-post, but whatever:
Would be really nice is if we could see the heat-maps for the other
designs as well, primarily how the user focus would shift when
provided with a reversed button layout.

But I think it's all moot because the new WP admin interface is very,
errr, *different* layout than most of the forms out there. For one
thing, the buttons I'm referring to are *already* on the
right-hand-side so the whole heat-map is rendered useless before its
even had a chance.....

/me wonders about having heatmap/eye-tracking experts take a look at
the WP admin center once it's finished and just give us their
suggestions on the order and relative placement of things; the design
aspects aside. After all, WP is now one of the biggest projects
anywhere - if we don't take advantage of this kind of stuff then who
would? <G>

-CG