[wp-hackers] Main navigation hover

spencerp spencerp1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 04:20:01 GMT 2008

Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>> I disagree. Letting the community give feedback on the mockups can help
>> shape designs to be even better. Considering most of us our
>> developers on
>> this list, we can imagine how a design will work while it's still just a
>> mockup. Plus, the community could have helped implement it.
>
> It's a little moot at this point, I would say the current state of the
> admin incorporates all or more of the mockups and intentions.

Having community viewing mock-ups isn't really a bad thing, however like
someone else said, it leaves the door wide open for constant arguing and
wanting this changed, or that changed. You'd spend more time arguing and
disagreeing than actually implementing the intended design.

That's where, if posting mock-ups on a blog post, and then turning off
comments comes in handy. ;) :D Or, post the "future to be" mock-ups
before actual implementation time frame, get user feedback and such, but
just have it controlled. Like you basically do with the
(http://wordpress.org/support/forum/4 and
http://wordpress.org/extend/ideas/ ) part of WordPress.org.

And if the discussion(s) start up on a email list, have the list
moderator moderate the emails regarding it. Arguments and disagreeing
isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is when it gets out of hand.
That's where it needs moderated by the powers that be.

It also shapes, improves, changes WordPress gradually to be a better
blogging software as time rolls on, AS a Community effort. Same goes for
the design and what you want WordPress to portray with that design.
Having a base / original design mock-up is the starting point. Having it
publicly viewable in very beginning is good, just have the feedback on
it moderated and controlled. Take votes in reasonable manner, not
bitching and moaning. Present change(s) and ideas again with new set of
mock-ups.

Remember though, all of this having a LIMITED amount of change
suggestions set from the get go. So you're not going from what you have
now (design wise) and by the time it's implementation time, it's not
looking like (for example) Shuttle. (Even though that'd be f-ing sweet!)
Just saying, that's drastic changes that shouldn't be, shouldn't happen.

Simple, decent changes with usability into consideration, suggestions
and opinions aren't bad. Just needs moderated and kept on reasonable
level of "change requests". I dunno though, I need sleep and for once
I'm not sarcastic and being mean... (No, I'm not sick either.) So yeah,
this is a nice and decent email from me and how I feel about this
discussion and all. :) I'm heading to bed... night folks.

--
spencerp
http://spencerp.net