[wp-hackers] Turn off blog/ Pure CMS?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Feb 21 17:12:23 GMT 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Stephen Rider
<wp-hackers at striderweb.com> wrote:
>  Perhaps I phrased it wrongly.  WordPress is a heavily blog-oriented
>  CMS.  The question (which has been largely answered) is:
>
>  Can we remove the blog aspects of the admin and make it a purely page-
>  based CMS?

What are the "blog aspects" of the admin?

Posts are simply an ordered method of content organization. While they
are usually ordered by time, they can be ordered by any arbitrary
means (this is up to the theme).

Pages are an unordered method of content organization, with an
optional hierarchical organization scheme.

The admittedly badly-named "Blogroll" is an external-site link
organization system.

In point of fact, there's nothing particularly visible in WordPress
that is primarily geared towards "blogging". Okay, there's a few
settings in the Options menus that are mainly geared toward the
blogging crowd, but for the most part, it's really a matter of the
theme. The theme is what makes the site a "blog" or not. I mean, you
can display your posts in a reverse time-ordering method and that's
pretty bloggish, but for the most part, the system itself doesn't
necessarily require that scheme.

The main reason to not ditch posts is simple: feeds. You cannot put
static page content into a feed in a sensible way.

-Otto