[wp-hackers] Re: 2.5 admin menu thoughts

Doug Smith doug at smithsrus.com
Wed Feb 20 17:02:54 GMT 2008

Chris Poteet wrote:

> I can't agree with this. I don't think drop downs are a big usability
> step forwards, I actually believe often times it's a step backwards.
> I am of the opinion that if you need all these levels of drop-downs
> then chances are the problem is in your IA.

I agree because I've observed so many users getting confused over drop-
down menus and not being able to find the link they need.

There was study done on this several years ago at User Interface
Experts:
http://www.uie.com/articles/users_decide_first/

They found that sites without such things were more effective at
getting users to where they wanted to go. Here's the gist of it from
the article:

--
Doug Smith <doug at smithsrus.com>
<http://smithsrus.com>