[wp-hackers] Suggested IA/UI Changes to the Admin Area

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Feb 15 21:20:46 GMT 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Stephen Rider
<wp-hackers at striderweb.com> wrote:
>  I think I like the new admin interface, overall. :)

I really, really hate it myself. But only because the usability of it
has dropped to basically nil.

The Write posts page is now almost completely unusable. Why anybody
thought it would be a good idea to have to scroll up and down the
whole page every few minutes I do not know. Do the people testing this
thing not do anything but write posts? I have to scroll off the screen
to screw with categories or tags, the post box is less wide than it
was before, there's a lot of wasted blank space (not everything needs
20 pixels of margin on all sides, fellas, some of us can see clearly).
What's more, the sidebar space is completely empty and wasted, why not
put some of the items below the fold back up there? Better yet, why
not let ME drag them up there and leave them there? That would be
awesome.

What happened to the drag and drop on the Widgets page? It's one thing
to have an alternative method that is non-javascript friendly, it's
another to get rid of a perfectly easy to understand interface and
replace it with something that should have been rejected on sight. The
drag and drop from the main area to the sidebars area needs to come
back.

I like the new uploader, I don't like the integration with the editor.
Those buttons are barely visible, took me lots of searching to find
it.

Anyway, I forsee a lot of dashboard replacements/plugins coming out if
this is let stand. I mean, this is simply beyond the pale. I don't
mind new looks, but you're supposed to *add* functionality, not remove
it.