[wp-hackers] Suggested IA/UI Changes to the Admin Area

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Fri Feb 15 19:52:37 GMT 2008

On Feb 14, 2008, at 10:37 PM, Chris Poteet wrote:

> You want to see an image before reading I know so here's my mockup.
>
> http://flickr.com/photos/cpoteet/2266424936/sizes/o/
>
> - I removed "dashboard" in lieu of having the h1 blog title link to
> the dashboard.

Some plugins add a submenu to Dashboard.  Also, having the explicit
link to it is less confusing.

> - I have changed "Write" into "Create", because you don't really
> "write" links.  I felt it more consistent to describe all three.

I like that idea.

To Matt: How is "create" unclear?  It's specific but leaves a bit of
room for flexibility.

> - I moved "comments" next to "manage" although I think that maybe
> comment moderation can be moved under "manage"

Comments are a significant enough thing to warrant a top level menu.
Also it would again mess up plugins that add submenus.

> - I combined import/export

Sounds reasonable.

> - "Design" became "Theme" to more aptly describe the sub-content (the
> page it links to is even named "themes.php")

"Design" works better for the same reason "Create" is better than
"Write" ;-)

> - You'll noticed I moved the "Settings" up to the upper right.

What happens to submenus?

> - The link to "visit site" was also moved up there.

NO.  That should stay next to the site name.

Just my two bits.

I think I like the new admin interface, overall. :)

Stephen