[wp-hackers] New uploader from #5722 in [6659]

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 01:02:23 GMT 2008

On Feb 3, 2008 6:00 PM, Alex Andrews <awgandrews at gmail.com> wrote:

> This said - looking at the Flash uploader I am positive something
> similar could be developed in js.

To my knowledge, no such thing has been demonstrated and it cannot be
done with HTML+JS+PHP. Flash is not being used to add UI or do
anything else that I know how to do in HTML+JS.

To clarify, what we get by using a Flash uploader is the ability to
select multiple files in the OS file dialog and the ability to monitor
the progress of each upload. Flash is not displaying the progress
bars; it merely triggers our JS callback which then updates the
progress bar.

Does anyone question the utility of these features?
Does anyone know how to accomplish the same experience without Flash?
Does anyone want to argue that improving the experience for the
Flash-enabled is wrong?
Does anyone have suggestions or code that can improve the uploader for
non-Flash users?

What is the utility of prohibiting distribution of a useful
open-source Flash program with WordPress on the basis that Flash
itself is not open-source? I hope that everyone will see that
WordPress is better for including it.

Andy