[wp-hackers] Minify Scripts and CSS and why it isn't completely possible

Gaarai gaarai at gaarai.com
Tue Dec 23 15:17:29 GMT 2008

I never saw anyone claim that you shouldn't use any functions that begin
with wp_, but I have seen on the Automattic site where they say that
coders shouldn't use the widget functions that begin with wp_. I use
them anyways since there isn't any other way to provide full widget info
without them.

As for the original question that you had Jacob, I have to say that
using the API for styles and scripts is not straight-forward at all. At
first, I didn't use them at all since the hooks you should user aren't
well documented which resulted in either calling that function too early
(resulting in errors) or too late (resulting in no css or js inclusions).

After finally figuring out action sequences on my own, I started using
them more, but then I had other problems. I assumed at first that the
call somehow /knew/ when to include or not include my css and js (a
stupid assumption, I know). I would write really nasty code to keep
track of when the inclusions should or should not be made.

It took me much longer to figure out how to store the resulting page
name from latching into the menu system and then using that create
actions for specific page views. Out of everything I've mentioned so
far, this is by far the most poorly documented of the lot.

So, Jacob, I would have to say that the problems are as follows:

   1. There is a wealth of information on the Codex, but it has three
      fundamental problems:
         1. There is so much information in there, that a new plugin
            developer will either never read specific areas before
            trying to code something or will have forgotten about
            something by the time they need it. This results in them
            finding something that "just works" which they most likely
            will stick with until someone tells them otherwise or they
            randomly stumble on the information.
         2. Despite the fact that there is so much information, I find
            that more often than not, the Codex fails to provide detail
            where detail would be extremely helpful. In addition, I
            often find the examples to be obscure at best and may show
            the specific line of code but none of the surrounding lines
            that are actually needed in order for that section of code
            to make sense and to actually function appropriately.
         3. Most WP developers (myself included), spend very little time
            working on the Codex. Personally, I know that I've only
            contributed significant changes to the get_posts().
   2. Even though WP.org is a community, I find very little community
      involvement when it comes to development in Extend. People put
      plugins and themes on there, some people use it, some people
      don't, and that's the end of it.
   3. There is little perceived benefit to coders to meet the (unknown)
      expectations of other coders.

So, there are the problems, what are the solutions? That is a very tough
question, but here are some ideas that I have.

    * I think most people will agree that getting more people involved
      in Codex updating would be a good thing, so I think we need to do
      some things to encourage that:
          o A particularly complex function should be selected by a very
            capable coder that knows the Codex and the community well.
            This coder needs to create the ultimate Codex documentation
            page for that function. This page can then become the
            framework which all other pages can be updated/created to
            match. This will provide consistency in information and will
            ensure that contributions are easy to do as little thought
            will need to be given to presentation of the information as
            a guideline is available.
          o After creating this ideal framework for pages, a group of
            Codex "editors" should go through all the Codex and mark
            pages as needing updates in order to match the new
            presentation format. This notice of needing updates should
            include a link to the page that shows the ideal
            presentation. This will help people unfamiliar with this
            discussion know what they need to do without looking elsewhere.
          o Have monthly Codex days. On these days, an announcement will
            come out on this list for coders to "adopt" a Codex page for
            the day. Coders will reply with what page they are adopting,
            so that way other editors know to leave that page alone as
            someone is working on it.
    * I talked with you about this way back at WordCamp Dallas, but it
      still hasn't happened and still needs to be done. The community
      would benefit greatly from a how-to plugin. Basically this plugin
      would essentially do nothing, but it would provide developers a
      best-practice view of how to do specific things. I've been working
      on one on and off for the past few months, but I really need to
      get other people involved. This plugin would be added to Extend so
      as updates come out, developers can always have easy access to the
      latest and greatest examples of how to do specific things (such as
      easily add css and js files).
    * The forums desperately need to be restructured. I am an avid fan
      of forums and over the past few years have spent large quantities
      of time in forums of various topics, but I loath going to the
      WP.org forums. Honestly, I don't know what it is about the forums
      that I dread, but every time I look at them, I feel like I'm
      looking at pea soup. There needs to be a better way to structure
      things in order to make things easy to find. Also, providing
      advanced tool such as showing new topics since last visit, show
      only unanswered posts, subscribe to thread (not just an RSS feed),
      etc can greatly aid those that want to help out as much as
      possible on the forum.
    * Get a better search. The entire site needs a search overhaul.
          o If I want to find the Codex page for the get_posts function,
            I find myself doing the following: searching for get_posts,
            changing to only search documentation and searching again,
            finding that the page I want isn't even on any of the first
            three pages of results, clicking on each of the first
            results while searching for a link to the page I want, and
            then clicking on the get_posts link inside the fourth search
            result. There has to be a better way.
          o I don't think I even need to get started on searching in Extend.
    * The community needs to get more involved with helping people who
      submit content to Extend. In other words, we need to have a sort
      of peer review. Technically, there is nothing limiting us from
      doing this right now, but from what I can tell, it doesn't happen.
      This would go a long way to improving the quality of themes and
      plugins available on Extend as well as go a long way to increase
      the amount of plugins and themes available as coders/designers
      know that there is a helpful community ready to assist them.
    * We need to find ways to get more people involved. I think that the
      Developer Center for Plugins and the More Info for Themes should
      provide people with links to help them get started. In addition,
      it should tell people about the existence of this list, point them
      to the forum, and give them a quick rundown on the Codex. As it
      stands now, it looks like they are on their own, why not
      explicitly show them that there is in fact a community behind all
      of this?

Sorry for the rambling. It seems like I got off-topic, but in reality,
these issues all trickle down to influence coders' use or disuse of the
script/style API. I hope that this can be helpful.

Chris Jean
http://gaarai.com/
http://wp-roadmap.com/