[wp-hackers] Unique permalinks vs. unique post slugs

Eric Marden wp at xentek.net
Wed Dec 17 22:21:47 GMT 2008

> Eric Marden wrote:
>> Personally, I use categories in my URLs, but only apply one
>> category to a post. This way both the cat and the slug are unique
>> for SEO purposes, and then use tags for all the other topics I want
>> to apply to a post.
>>
> Sounds like a reasonable idea, Eric.
>
> Do you then create tags that are identical to each of your
> categories? If so, is there any redundancy factor there, or not?

Well, I treat categories like buckets that content goes into, things
like 'articles', 'announcements', 'media', etc. Something with
semantic meaning. Tags are more topical and specific like
'Google','WordPress','open source'. This may or may not work for you,
but by having the clear distinction, I can put posts in my buckets,
but then tag them up with specifics that people can browse, via the
archives, or tag clouds.

- Eric