[wp-hackers] Plugin Updates not on WP.org

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Mon Dec 15 15:55:56 GMT 2008

On Dec 14, 2008, at 7:46 PM, Alex Hempton-Smith wrote:

> I was looking through 'update.php' and noticed that the WordPress
> update
> script just checks against a URL, in this case on wordpress.org, but
> couldn't we introduce an element into the main plugin header, where
> author
> etc information is kept, with an alternative URL? That would mean
> the plugin
> author could just upload a txt file perhaps which had the current
> stable
> plugin version, which WP can check against instead of
> api.wordpress.org?
>
> Any thoughts?

I'm working on a new system for this -- part of a plugin "common core"
I'm developing.  The last unfinished part is the version checking --
I've figured out a full integration into the existing WP interface --
still working out kinks in the actual act of checking.

It's also going a bit slow because certain aspects of the code must,
by their nature, be rock-solid before any public release, as it's
difficult to make changes later....

I'll keep you posted, though I'll say now that development has
distinctly slowed over the holidays.  Keep an eye out for "Strider
Core" plugins. :)

Stephen